Proper food storage practices and garbage handling will help to prevent rodent and insect infestations.
How to Prevent Pests
- Screen all doors and windows and maintain in good repair.
- Fill holes with steel wool or caulking especially around pipes and drains.
- Rotate food stocks regularly to prevent insect infestations.
- Inspect all foods when they are delivered to your centre. Do not accept any products if you see insects.
- Clean all food spills immediately.
- Store food products in insect and rodent-proof containers.
- Store garbage away from the building in bins that are not accessible.
- Use poisons or traps as little as possible and with care to prevent injury.
Watch for Signs of Pest Problem
- Watch for empty egg cases, dead cockroaches, droppings, and musty odour.
- Chewing marks on cupboards or baseboards in areas where you store food.
- Chewing marks on food packaging.
- Feces (droppings) in cupboards, drawers or other areas of the centre.
If an infestation occurs, hire a licensed pest control operator to eliminate the problem. Arrange for service at a time when children are not present.
If Poisonous Bait is Needed
- It must only be used and handled by a licensed pest control company.
- It must only be used outside of the food premise.
- It must be placed in secure covered bait traps.
Last modified: February 19, 2020