- Keep non-refrigerated food storage areas clean, dry, well ventilated, and adequately lighted.
- Store food on shelves at least 15 cm (6 inches) above the floor.
- Use non-absorbent, easy to clean shelving.
- Clean storage rooms and cupboards once a month or more frequently as needed.
- Store opened dry goods in sealable containers.
- Ensure all food containers are labelled.
- Keep non-food items, especially cleaning products, insecticides, mops, brooms, and brushes in a separate area away from the food storage areas. Ensure that this area is inaccessible to children.
- Cover all food with airtight seals, plastic wrap or aluminum foil to protect it from contamination.
Last modified: February 19, 2020